Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > EQ2MAP

Unread 12-02-2008, 11:53 AM
EQ2MAP Developer
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Splitpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by depechenode View Post
Not sure if this has been requested with new map system, if it has sorry..

Is it possible to add back th eability to filter poi's like the old map had? As far, mobs, quests, locs etc. We had a button that dropped down a menu and we could select what poi's or all that we wished to be on displayed. As of now, we only have show or hide all.

Oh..one more request: could the Show All poi's on the Main map not be automatically extended? For example, the quest journal has the option of full tree or collapsed tree. A collapsed tree with the POI headings is better on open of Show all POI's IMO than a fully extended list of every poi in the DB for that map. I am finding that I have to click a lot of branched in order to get to the specific POI heading I am looking for.

Thanks
Look a few post up.
Unread 12-02-2008, 03:44 PM
A Griffon

Server: Toxxulia

Grr thanks..but what about the tree being already fully extended? I saw the part about the button to filter the poi's displayed on mini map. But you did not answer my ? about the list. I desire to have the list collapsed and then I click on the headings for which I am looking. As of now, it opens fully extended and I have to click the headings closed until I get where i am looking in the list.
Unread 12-02-2008, 05:06 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

I think it may not be possible but tbh I never looked into it so far.

Regardinging the POI filtering the latest news is that it is possible, just not very efficiently so at the moment. We're still discussing it.
Unread 12-07-2008, 02:25 PM
A Darkpaw Brute

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default scaling some of the maps up a bit more

Hi, could we make some of the maps scale a bit more, maps such as timerous deep i scale as close as i can but the icons are still jumbled together, if they would scale closer it would make highlighting between icons much easier.
was also wondering, when will we be able to turn off icons and only show what we wish to see, that was one of the awsome features of the original maps, realy hope to se it soon, makes searching the maps so much esaier.
the maps are still very nice in my opinion, keep up the awsome work, realy enjoy them and look forward to things to come, thanks.

Last edited by Raull : 12-07-2008 at 02:32 PM.
Unread 12-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Server: Crushbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raull View Post
Hi, could we make some of the maps scale a bit more, maps such as timerous deep i scale as close as i can but the icons are still jumbled together, if they would scale closer it would make highlighting between icons much easier.
was also wondering, when will we be able to turn off icons and only show what we wish to see, that was one of the awsome features of the original maps, realy hope to se it soon, makes searching the maps so much esaier.
the maps are still very nice in my opinion, keep up the awsome work, realy enjoy them and look forward to things to come, thanks.
I agree with you on the first point. That's something I've suggested to Rothgar (one of the UI Devs).

The second point is something that's already been addressed in this very thread. The short of it is, it is currently not possible, but SOE knows what is needed to make it work, so there is hope that the ability may return. The UI Devs are really great -- especially Rothgar, he goes way beyond the call of duty (IMHO).
Unread 12-15-2008, 08:01 AM
A Griffon

Server: Runnyeye

Hopefully a minor request.

Is there any way that, if you have a POI highlighted from the "Find" list and you click on the "Report POI" button it could take you straight to the Edit POI screen for the selected POI rather than the one where you enter the POI number?

Thanks
Unread 12-15-2008, 09:32 AM
EQ2MAP Developer

We are looking in to this, but im not sure if we can use the selected field, have to check with gm9.

But there is a easyer way for now:

Now that nearby loc's is listed , ill use this my self fo edit poi's.
Go near a poi, press SubmitPOI, a list of nearby poi's is shown and select the poi you like to edit
Unread 12-15-2008, 10:17 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

We can't use the search results at all. What we had previously discussed (and what we can do) is having the user click on a POI to store the ID and then press on the ReportPOI button passing the ID along.

I think we eventually decided against it because of the risk of the user previously having clicked on a POI and wanting to report another one without noticing that the wrong one was preselected. Also it costs a bit of bandwith because we need to add code to every single POI.

But if you think it would be useful like that we can discuss it again.

PS: Theoretically we could also implement a double click functionality on the POIs in that clicking once creates a waypoint and clicking twice opens the browser, but apart from costing even more bandwidth I felt this would be even more annoying to users double clicking but not wanting to report anything.
Unread 01-04-2009, 06:37 PM
A Coastal Crab

Server: Mistmoore
Talking Filter to show only active quest markers on the map

I think it'd be cool if there was a way to only view the quest markers on the map for the currently active quests so that it's easier to see where things are that you need to get / kill / etc.
Unread 01-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molatare View Post
I think it'd be cool if there was a way to only view the quest markers on the map for the currently active quests so that it's easier to see where things are that you need to get / kill / etc.
Not something that UI modders can currently do. However, Rothgar (SOE UI Developer) has mentioned that he would like exactly the same thing, so it may be coming Soon <tm>.
Unread 01-17-2009, 04:09 PM
A Darkpaw Brute

Default Independent togle of poi's

Yes i know, its been mentioned, but it still hase not been implemented, i would realy like to know if sony has any intention of alowing us to togle poi's independent of one another and show only the ones we whish to see. Right now we have poi's on top of poi's, and you cant see whats under them.
I feedback this every day, im sending in bug reports hoping it will be changed, do they have any intention of alowing this to hapen or not?? And if not is there somwhere in sony we can send complaints to to maybe get that changed.

Last edited by Raull : 01-17-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Unread 01-18-2009, 11:17 AM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raull View Post
Yes i know, its been mentioned, but it still hase not been implemented, i would realy like to know if sony has any intention of alowing us to togle poi's independent of one another and show only the ones we whish to see. Right now we have poi's on top of poi's, and you cant see whats under them.
I feedback this every day, im sending in bug reports hoping it will be changed, do they have any intention of alowing this to hapen or not?? And if not is there somwhere in sony we can send complaints to to maybe get that changed.
/feedback is your way of sending in that you want it changed.

But remember, it takes time for SOE to get things changed like this, and also this kind of change would likely go in with a major Game Update, of which there have been none since TSO came out. Be patient. Live with it for now, and use the search function for finding the POIs you want to highlight.
Unread 01-18-2009, 12:14 PM
A Darkpaw Brute

Default search function

with the mention of using the search (and i use it constantly, nearly as much now as i use wiki) a sugestion please, i find that you have to have a word in its entirety, any way to alow this to work on a partial basis, like searching for Ram'ini, being able to just put ram and geting all that starts with that, the more you include the narower your search results. right now using ram would come up with a blank field, makes searching kind dificult when your trying to second guess how its listed as a poi. thanks.
on topic of togling the poi's, i feedback soe constantly (every day actualy) what i realy want to know is do they intend to let this hapen, is somthing in the works, whats the plan. And also, searching is nice when your looking for somthing specific, but ever try to just take a look at the poi's that are around you in certain areas, some are very hard to see, and some you won't even know are there because you can't se them, this is a needed change.
thanks for your reply, will keep asking in game for this, hope to se it soon.
Unread 01-19-2009, 12:20 AM
EQ2MAP Developer

[quote=Raull;79960]with the mention of using the search (and i use it constantly, nearly as much now as i use wiki) a sugestion please, i find that you have to have a word in its entirety, any way to alow this to work on a partial basis, like searching for Ram'ini, being able to just put ram and geting all that starts with that, the more you include the narower your search results. right now using ram would come up with a blank field, makes searching kind dificult when your trying to second guess how its listed as a poi. thanks.
QUOTE] This can be done, open ingame Options/UI settings/Map and you find some options to change , there should be one for partial words.
Unread 11-09-2009, 10:17 AM
A Grassland Beetle

in the dropdown list on the website vault & chelsith are listed under kj instead of jw. also, emperors athenaeum should be there too
Unread 11-09-2009, 04:21 PM
EQ2MAP Developer

Thanx
Fixed
Unread 03-20-2010, 07:12 PM
Skinning Guru
Premium Member
Featured

Server: Guk

I like having a "clean" map without all of the icon clutter, but hiding the POI icons from the filter also removes it from being found in the Search box for the side listing.

Is there a way you can implement a toggle that hides certain types of POI icons, but still have it enabled in the filter? That way I can Search, and it would give me the X on the map at least.

Drakah

shakahr.com
Remember...it is only a GAME
Unread 03-20-2010, 07:49 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakah View Post
I like having a "clean" map without all of the icon clutter, but hiding the POI icons from the filter also removes it from being found in the Search box for the side listing.

Is there a way you can implement a toggle that hides certain types of POI icons, but still have it enabled in the filter? That way I can Search, and it would give me the X on the map at least.
No, unfortunately we can only hide all or nothing, for everything else you need to use the filter. If you never want to see one type of icon it's probably easiest if you remove that icon type from _Skinnable_POI_Icons.xml.
Unread 03-20-2010, 10:05 PM
EQ2MAP Webmaster

Server: Unkown
Send a message via Skype™ to Eloa

Hello, I've recently started playing again and using the hell out of eq2map. it's amazing how many POI's the community has been so generous to submit and share. (lame that SOE sorta stole some of our work...but compliments the same)

Anyways, everything is great I'm glad to see how the team has helped hold it together and improve it over the last 5 years...i know that it would be possible to do this so imagine with me:

In the updater there is a filter of sorts like
1. "Only download mob POI lvl ___ and up"
2. "Only download quest information lvl ___ and up"

That would eliminate some clutter...not all or even most. This would also require a small addition to the website's database to include a field for the level for everything. At the same time a few other fields could be added like heroid true/false and im sure much more.

By doing this you can filter the POI's that you download therefore limiting what is displayed on your map and in essence the same as is asked about above. If you need to do a one off and find a lvl 3 quest you can hit the website.

Comments, concerns, suggestions? i have a habit of ranting, sorry
Unread 03-20-2010, 10:43 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eloa View Post
Hello, I've recently started playing again and using the hell out of eq2map. it's amazing how many POI's the community has been so generous to submit and share. (lame that SOE sorta stole some of our work...but compliments the same)

Anyways, everything is great I'm glad to see how the team has helped hold it together and improve it over the last 5 years...i know that it would be possible to do this so imagine with me:

In the updater there is a filter of sorts like
1. "Only download mob POI lvl ___ and up"
2. "Only download quest information lvl ___ and up"

That would eliminate some clutter...not all or even most. This would also require a small addition to the website's database to include a field for the level for everything. At the same time a few other fields could be added like heroid true/false and im sure much more.

By doing this you can filter the POI's that you download therefore limiting what is displayed on your map and in essence the same as is asked about above. If you need to do a one off and find a lvl 3 quest you can hit the website.

Comments, concerns, suggestions? i have a habit of ranting, sorry
Thats probably a lot of work for a relatively small reward. Most zones are a pretty small level range anyway. Rothgar wants to add the ability to limit quest POIs to only show up when you are on the quest for them which would cut the majority of the clutter out in the first place.
Unread 03-21-2010, 04:20 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

We have a theoretical way to filter POIs on the client, but due to the way the new map window is constructed this means we would need to attach UI code to every single POI to make that work. Since you noticed the number of POIs we have that would blow up the POI files in size by a lot and we did not really want to do that now that SOE provided one way to filter POIs.

While the variant you propose with filtering on the server would avoid that issue (and I guess bandwidth issues could be reduced by having the updater cache all files and add/delete them dynamically to the UI folder as requested without needing to redownload), but as lordebon mentioned, since SOE said they intended to provide a way to link POIs to quests, we are kinda waiting for how this is going to be done (probably something like a questID), as it seems to be the superior solution.

You can find our discussions on this in the team forum btw, you should still have access.
Unread 03-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Server: Oasis
Send a message via ICQ to Landiin Send a message via AIM to Landiin Send a message via MSN to Landiin Send a message via Yahoo to Landiin

Good luck on getting SOE to do any thing to do with the UI any time soon. They can't even keep their database server from spazing out in US prime time when BG is turned on. I am quite sure Rothgar will have his hands full with these issue for a quite some time now.

*edit*
After reading rereading that it kind of sounded like a bash... It wasn't meant that way, just that they have their hands fully with server and game issues for some time to come imo.

Last edited by Landiin : 03-21-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Unread 03-21-2010, 03:44 PM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin

It's really only a problem if your zoomed way out on a large map since the poi images don't scale with the zoom. However if your looking for a POI the search feature works great. I really haven't found the need to filter or toggle POI's. Also if your zoomed in the clutter isn't bad.

I have a lvl 90 pally, lvl 80 conj, and a few low levels I play with and never had an issue finding the POI I need.

I guess the question to ask is it really worth the hoops we need to jump threw due to the way the current map system is?
Unread 03-23-2010, 10:13 PM
EQ2MAP Webmaster

Server: Unkown
Send a message via Skype™ to Eloa

i just realized that it'd be great to have a search for zone feature on the website...especially since they're sorted by area and theres so many now...spent forever just looking for butcherblock.
Unread 03-23-2010, 10:21 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eloa View Post
i just realized that it'd be great to have a search for zone feature on the website...especially since they're sorted by area and theres so many now...spent forever just looking for butcherblock.
Yeah, I agree 100% there, the dropdown method has been pretty bad for years now.

Last edited by lordebon : 03-23-2010 at 10:24 PM.