EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > EQ2MAP > EQ2Map Troubleshooting

Unread 06-19-2012, 01:49 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Unkown
Question Still Stumped About Map AutoUpdater Installation Process

OK. I have read the stickies, the FAQ, and a number of posts by people having installation problems. I still don't understand completely how to install the EQ2 Map Auto Updater on my computer.

I started playing EQ2 a few weeks ago. I have not added any mods to it. I know very little about computer programming and coding. All I want to do is play the game. So I need clear explanations.

I downloaded the Updater zip file into a blank folder on my Windows Vista (32-bit) Desktop. I then unarchived the zip file, extracting the EQ2MAP-Updater-1.2.10-Setup.exe file.

Question 1: Do I need to move the Setup.exe file to a different location before opening (activating) it?

To start EQ2 I use a SOE Launch Pad shortcut icon on my Desktop. The LaunchPad Shortcut Properties window says the following for Target:

"C:\ProgramData\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\EverQuest II\LaunchPad.exe"

And it says the following for Start In:

"C:\ProgramData\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\EverQuest II\"

FYI, I have to run the LaunchPad as an Administrator so as not to get a C++ runtime error. (I understand that this is a common problem for the EQ2 LaunchPad running under Vista.) So I right-click on the LaunchPad shortcut icon and select Run as Administrator. A window then appears asking for my permission to allow the program to run. When I click on ALLOW, then EQ2 starts up and asks me to LOGIN.

Question 2: What is going to happen after I have opened (activated) the Setup.exe file?

Question 3: What, if any, information should appear on my monitor screen after I have opened (activated ) the Setup.exe file?

Question 4: Is the fact that I have to run the launchpad as an administrator going to cause problems with the Updater?

I am asking these questions because I like to know what is going to happen to my computer before I install a new program, especially one that will alter an already installed program. I am 75 years old and don't have the computer savvy that you young folks have, so please accept my thanks for any help you can give.

Last edited by RosInSF : 06-19-2012 at 02:02 AM. Reason: To correct some information.
Unread 06-19-2012, 04:36 AM
EQ2MAP Developer
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Splitpaw

All you need to do is run the setup file, this will open an Installer.
No need to change anything in the installer.
Run the updater and select your eq2 installation and you are done.
You can then run the updater every time you like to play the game to make sure you have the latest files, but its not nessesary.
Unread 06-21-2012, 10:52 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Unkown
Smile Thanks!

Thank you for the helpful information! I installed the app with no problems. (I unchecked the EQ2 Autostart feature, however, to avoid any potential problems.)