EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Chit-Chat

Unread 09-26-2005, 03:37 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Date/Time COnversion

Hi -

Does anyone have (or know of) a utility that will conevrt a RL date/time to the EQ2 date/time? For example, a quick utility that lets you input a RL time (say November 11, 2004 9:00pm - and it spits out the EQ2 date/time?

Thanks!
Unread 09-26-2005, 04:24 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Toxxulia

Don't know of any conversion.

I wonder why this would be of any use anyways?
Unread 09-26-2005, 07:04 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Lucan DLere
Default I like the idea

I like the idea. Many times I have had to hunt for a clock or type /time to find the time. Having it displayed would be great. Please someone look into the idea.
Unread 09-26-2005, 07:21 PM
A Forest Scavenger

Alot of the custom UI's already have a RL time as well as game time clock with them.
Unread 09-26-2005, 07:30 PM
A Griffon

Server: Runnyeye

Plenty of mods with the earth and game time likes LadyDragonMist lol

xestofodus,

Yeh I know where your coming from likes, to time a named mob spawn in real time X number of real days/hours ahead so you can log back in (well thats way i see a use for it anyway lol)

Only way i can think of doing that would be for sombody to make a eq time / earth time calculator utility like you say, but it wouldnt work in game I doubt (or it might like the old DPS calc used to? maybe)... There is guys here that are more than capable of doing this, But myself not being one of them lol, (well maybe I could eventualy but it would be slow progress hehe)

Unread 09-26-2005, 10:16 PM
A Griffon

Server: Mistmoore

This wouldn't work, as I think the time resets every time the servers reset.
Unread 09-26-2005, 10:31 PM
A Griffon

Server: Lucan DLere

try this

http://www.eq2interface.com/download...fo.php?id=3961

Lady1
Unread 09-27-2005, 07:41 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Thanks for all the replies.

One of the reasons for this was to calculate past dates. For example, as a guild, we know what day someone joins (its listed in the roster) - but unless someone has enough foresite to write it down - we don't have the Northian date.

A simple utility could be used to calculate the date in Norrath for a known RL date.

My understanding is that time progresses (even during server shutdown) as it is a calculation - based on RL date/time.

Thanks!
Unread 09-29-2005, 12:42 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

I just confirmed that time progresses during server downtimes and restarts. Anyone with any ideas? Im assuming that the developers must have a simple forumula that they apply to the current date/time to generate the Norrath time.

Thanks
Unread 10-04-2005, 04:37 AM
EQ2MAP Updater Author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

probably pretty simple, try and get as much info as you can (i.e. names for months and days, how many days for each month and a few lines that have what /time gives. if i can figure it out i might throw together a simple program that does it when i have some spare time this week or next week. i dont have a subscription to eq2 anymore so there is no way for me to get this or even test it but i will give it my best shot if you can give me the info.
Unread 10-04-2005, 05:54 AM
A Griffon

Server: Mistmoore

Doesn't Sony have a "Come back for 7 days free" deal right now? :P
Unread 10-04-2005, 07:16 AM
A Griffon

Server: Permafrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by xestofodus
One of the reasons for this was to calculate past dates. For example, as a guild, we know what day someone joins (its listed in the roster) - but unless someone has enough foresite to write it down - we don't have the Northian date.
I mean no offense, but I just have to ask.... What possible difference does it make? I mean, I frankly see no need even for knowing the current Norrathian day and date, though I did finally add that info to my clock mod just for the hell of it. But the Norrathian day/date on which past events occurred? Who cares? It could certainly be handy to know, for example, that your guild was founded on December 25 of 2004, or that Satanclause joined on January 4 of 2005, but knowing that something happened on, say, Leafday, the 7th of Trollmonth, in the year 3,965, seems completely and utterly useless, at least until you convert the date back to a real date, anyway.

*Shrug*

Just my thoughts.

-- Darryl
Unread 10-04-2005, 08:28 AM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus
Doesn't Sony have a "Come back for 7 days free" deal right now? :P

I thought that was only for EQ1 (or EQ Live, whatever you want to call it)?

"Certainty of death! Small chance of success! What are we waiting for?!"

Unread 10-04-2005, 08:34 AM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBurgdorf
I mean no offense, but I just have to ask.... What possible difference does it make? I mean, I frankly see no need even for knowing the current Norrathian day and date, though I did finally add that info to my clock mod just for the hell of it. But the Norrathian day/date on which past events occurred? Who cares? It could certainly be handy to know, for example, that your guild was founded on December 25 of 2004, or that Satanclause joined on January 4 of 2005, but knowing that something happened on, say, Leafday, the 7th of Trollmonth, in the year 3,965, seems completely and utterly useless, at least until you convert the date back to a real date, anyway.

*Shrug*

Just my thoughts.

-- Darryl

My guess would be perhaps for roleplaying flavor. I know there are some guilds out there that require their members to maintain a 'roleplaying' environment/personality (even if they aren't on a dedicated roleplaying server).

Unread 10-04-2005, 11:45 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

That's exactly what its for. I play on two servers (AB and Lucan) both are RP servers. It is handy when writing guild histories, etc to have the ability to put a RL date into a Norrathian date. The only purpose we'd use it for was RP.

Thanks
Unread 10-04-2005, 12:07 PM
A Green Troll
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Blackburrow

In the library of each city is a book that explains the norathian calander. I'm fairly certain 72 real min = 1 norathian day.

You'd need to convert the real world date to Universal, then to Norathian. Most programing languages have a function to convert real dates to universal, even JavaScript does.

Converting universal to Norathian is probably fairly simple since I think every month has the same number of days.
Unread 10-04-2005, 02:20 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazaru5
My guess would be perhaps for roleplaying flavor.
To each his own, I guess. As an "old school" paper-and-dice roleplayer from *WAY* back, though, absolutely the *last* place I'd try to do any real roleplaying is in a MMORPG.

-- Darryl
Unread 10-04-2005, 02:23 PM
A Griffon

Server: Toxxulia

Quote:

*Shrug*

Just my thoughts.

-- Darryl
/agree I think the same thing
Unread 10-04-2005, 06:46 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
To each his own, I guess. As an "old school" paper-and-dice roleplayer from *WAY* back, though, absolutely the *last* place I'd try to do any real roleplaying is in a MMORPG.

-- Darryl
I didn't say I necessarily agreed with the whole roleplaying thing, I just tossed out my opinion on the matter.

I, too, am an "old school" table top roleplayer. Even though it wouldn't be all that hard to do the same thing online as you would sitting around a table with a bunch of buddies, it ain't quite my thing, either.