View Single Post
Unread 05-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Fetish Core author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Crushbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknarr View Post
One gotcha: while Windows understands junctions/links just fine, the UI seems not to. When you make the link, it'll look and act like a normal folder. If you try to delete it, it'll delete the actual folder behind the link and not the link itself. I ran into that with the logs folder (I link the test server logs folder to the regular one so ACT works properly) and when I went to clear out the test server folder it deleted the main logs folder too.
That's inherent in how those links work. When you create one, you're basically making the "link" folder point to the real folder in pretty much every way possible -- try to delete the link folder and you delete what it's pointing to. Windows is just doing what it's programmed to do, which is to treat a symbolic link as a hard link to the folder.

They're definitely a more advanced feature and can have some tricks/quirks but it's a very handy feature to have. It's not all that hard to set up in XP (you basically have to download the file from microsoft and then make the link in the command line, although I'm sure theres utilities out there to do it that use GUIs). It's handy though -- I use them on my computers to work with dropbox, for example.