View Single Post
Unread 07-01-2008, 03:34 PM
A Green Troll
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Blackburrow

I'd have to look at the current EULA, but at one time there was verbage that barred the following activities...

1) No unattended game play (generally this translates to if you don't respond to a GM tell within 15min, you are subject to suspention).

2) No distribution of tools for automating game play (3rd party or not). I think the point of this is that SOE can't really stop people from using 3rd party macro systems, but they don't want to encourage it by allowing the proliferation of EQ2 specific automators.

So you can develope your own tools and macros all you want, just don't make them available to others, and don't get caught using them when not at the keys.

SOE is very much not ok with automated game play, attended or otherwise. I've had lengthy discussions with senior devs at SOE about this subject. SOE intentionally left out some very basic functions that should make this obvious, like pause commands (which were in EQ1). In fact the whole custom script engine used in the XML was developed in an attempt to avoid many of the automation pitfalls possible with a more robust scripting engine like LUA.

It was over 3 yrs ago when I asked SOE if they'd mind if I implemented a pause macro system using just the XML tools they gave us... their responce was "please don't". The script engine has been extended alot since then, and some of those extentions have opened the door for more automation. Just because its possible, doesn't mean its ok.