View Single Post
Unread 11-28-2007, 11:29 AM
A Forest Scavenger

Server: Antonia Bayle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnils View Post
A new test run.

This time the TEST2 file , have some manifest files attached to it.
Lets see if this helps to get file access

The TEST3 file has a dummy config file, it seems like the program works if a config file exits from start. I have alltered the install script to write one if none exits.

Please make a Clean install, delete all files inside EQ2MAP Updater first.
Jnils,

Thanks for taking the time to test this issue. I realize Landiin has had better luck but I also realize I am not the only one on these forums experiencing this issue.

I have just finished testing the Test2 and Test3 versions of the installer. Each was tested with a clean install (uninstall previous version and delete all files and folders). Here are my test results.

The Test2 file (with manafest included) produces the same experience on my machine as previous tests. The installation completes but no config file is created and when the updater is launched I receive the same errors as before. The installer creates an extra file this time (EQ2MAP_Updater.exe.manifest) but still no config file.

The Test3 installer was indeed able to create a dummy config file in the EQ2Map Updater directory. The dummy file contained only the following...

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
<ConfigOpt>
  <ConfigValues>
    <OptionName>EQ2Dir</OptionName>
    <OptionValue></OptionValue>
  </ConfigValues>
</ConfigOpt>
Upon launching the updater after install, the following error appeared ...

Code:
Unknown Error: EQ2MAP_Updater
   at EQ2MAPUpdater.GlobalVariables.ReadConfigValues()
   at EQ2MAPUpdater.MainWindow.FormMain_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
So at least in my case, neither test allowed the updater to work properly on my Retail Vista Ultimate 32bit OS install. This is a clean install (not an upgrade install) on a brand new machine I built about a month ago. As stated in my first post I have disabled UAC and tested the installer in both XP Compatibility mode and run as Administrator. I am very open to the idea that there is a setting in need of tweaking on my Vista config and am open to any suggestions from any Vista experts out there.

Even though I now have a known work around (manually copying the config file into the install directory after a clean install) I would like to continue working through this issue until we hit a dead end. If you look at the thread read count or scan through some other posts in this forum you will see I am not alone in this experience. My hope is that a true solution (or at least a good explination of why this is happening) can be found to help the rest of the users out there who are also experiencing this issue.

Jnils and others, if you have any suggestions or further tests you would like me to conduct, please let me know. I will offer myself and my system up as a test platform and will entertain just about any suggestion you would like to toss at me. Thanks again for taking the time and effort thus far.