View Single Post
Unread 11-27-2007, 12:22 PM
A Forest Scavenger

Server: Antonia Bayle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnils View Post
Ok have made a test version thats save the config and cache folder in C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\EQ2MAPUpdater.
I like to know if this works for you.
Sorry Jnils, the test installer you made does not appear to work either. I did an uninstall of the previously failed EQ2 maps install prior to installing the new Test version then did a default installation (allowing the program to install to the "c:\Program Files\EQ2MAP Updater" directory. Upon completion I received the following error...

Code:
Unknown Error: EQ2MAP_Updater
   at EQ2MAPUpdater.GlobalVariables.ReadConfigValues()
   at EQ2MAPUpdater.MainWindow.FormMain_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
As a side note, Vista no longer uses the XP legacy path format of C:\Documents and Settings\USER\...

All user data in Vista is now stored in C:\Users... General data for all users is stored in C:\Users\Public (such as common picture, document, and video files). Whereas data for specific users is stored under a unique sub folder for their user account (ie C:\Users\JoeUser\...)

I believe all application data in Vista is now stored in C:\ProgramData\ (Note! there is NO space between "Program" and "Data"). So if your installer is able to properly detect Vista as the Host OS, you might be able to poke your application data (such as the config file) into C:\ProgramData\EQ2MAP\ as an example.

I see this is exactly what nVidia does with this directory. They store a small XML file containing general config information for all users in C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA. Adobe, HP, VMWare, and Microsoft all use this path in a similar way.

Last edited by Ripper-Joe : 11-27-2007 at 12:40 PM.