View Single Post
Unread 06-19-2012, 01:49 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Unkown
Question Still Stumped About Map AutoUpdater Installation Process

OK. I have read the stickies, the FAQ, and a number of posts by people having installation problems. I still don't understand completely how to install the EQ2 Map Auto Updater on my computer.

I started playing EQ2 a few weeks ago. I have not added any mods to it. I know very little about computer programming and coding. All I want to do is play the game. So I need clear explanations.

I downloaded the Updater zip file into a blank folder on my Windows Vista (32-bit) Desktop. I then unarchived the zip file, extracting the EQ2MAP-Updater-1.2.10-Setup.exe file.

Question 1: Do I need to move the Setup.exe file to a different location before opening (activating) it?

To start EQ2 I use a SOE Launch Pad shortcut icon on my Desktop. The LaunchPad Shortcut Properties window says the following for Target:

"C:\ProgramData\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\EverQuest II\LaunchPad.exe"

And it says the following for Start In:

"C:\ProgramData\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\EverQuest II\"

FYI, I have to run the LaunchPad as an Administrator so as not to get a C++ runtime error. (I understand that this is a common problem for the EQ2 LaunchPad running under Vista.) So I right-click on the LaunchPad shortcut icon and select Run as Administrator. A window then appears asking for my permission to allow the program to run. When I click on ALLOW, then EQ2 starts up and asks me to LOGIN.

Question 2: What is going to happen after I have opened (activated) the Setup.exe file?

Question 3: What, if any, information should appear on my monitor screen after I have opened (activated ) the Setup.exe file?

Question 4: Is the fact that I have to run the launchpad as an administrator going to cause problems with the Updater?

I am asking these questions because I like to know what is going to happen to my computer before I install a new program, especially one that will alter an already installed program. I am 75 years old and don't have the computer savvy that you young folks have, so please accept my thanks for any help you can give.

Last edited by RosInSF : 06-19-2012 at 02:02 AM. Reason: To correct some information.