View Single Post
Unread 02-11-2005, 12:47 AM
A Griffon
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Well that was fun, going through the EQ2 EULA.

Here's the paragraph pertaining to 3rd party software.

9. You may not use any software to modify the Software to change Game play. You may not create, facilitate, host, link to or provide any other means through which the Game may be played by others, such as through server emulators. You may not decrypt or modify any data transmitted between client and server and you may not use, post, host or distribute macros, “bots” or other programs which would allow unattended game play or which otherwise impact game play. You may not take any action which imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure. You may not buy, sell or auction (or host or facilitate the ability to allow others to buy, sell or auction) any Game account, characters, items, coin or copyrighted material or any other intellectual property owned or controlled by us or our licensors without first obtaining our express written permission.

A person could argue that fraps does or does not modify gameplay, so depending on your interpretation of if framerate (or a DPS display) changes the way you play, this would or wouldn't be against the EULA.

I liked this paragraph. According to it, we aren't actually allowed to modify the UI. At least, that's how I interpret it.

7. Subject to the terms of this Agreement, we hereby grant to you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, revocable license to use the Software solely in connection with playing the Game via an authorized and fully-paid Account. You may not copy (except to make one necessary back-up copy), distribute, sell, auction, rent, lease, loan, modify or create derivative works, adapt, translate, perform, display, sublicense or transfer all or any portion of the Software. You may not copy any of the written, digital or electronic materials accompanying the Software unless we expressly permit you to do so in writing, and then only to the extent permitted. You may not reverse engineer, disassemble or decompile the Software except to the extent that this restriction is expressly prohibited by applicable law. The Software may contain license management software that restricts your use of the Software.

And this last one was truly my favorite and *************** should take a closer look at. SOE owns all rights to any works based off of EverQuest, so anything made here, for EQ2's UI (like maps), or just related to EQ in general is theirs. Now I doubt this claim of theirs would hold up in court if you tried to lay claim to something you made, but they still included it.

8. We and our suppliers shall retain all rights, title and interest, including, without limitation, ownership of all intellectual property rights relating to or residing in the CD-ROM, the Software and the Game, all copies thereof, and all game character data in connection therewith. You acknowledge and agree that you have not and will not acquire or obtain any intellectual property or other rights, including any right of exploitation, of any kind in or to the CD-ROM, the Software or the Game, including, without limitation, in any artwork, music, character(s), item(s), coin(s) or other material or property, and/or any compilation or copyrightable arrangement of any of the above (collectively, “Rights”), and that all such property, material, items and Rights are exclusively owned by us.

Just some stuff to consider. Their EULA is definately up for interpretation, and I imagine was very carefully worded. Also, it's not a legally binding contract.

Quib