View Single Post
Unread 08-19-2008, 08:39 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Unrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorinth View Post
Well, even if this is the case, should the UI not fall back to the earlier tier of the spell if it is not available?
The problem is that the game engine doesn't tell the UI whether a spell can be cast or not. The UI doesn't know what spells you actually have, only what your level (actual and current) is. So all it can do is go by a list of spells based on level and pick the highest one less than or equal to your current level and hope you have it. If you don't, there's nothing it can do. It could only fall back on a lower-level one if it were told the one it tried failed, and the game won't tell the UI that. NB: one problem with using lower-level spells is that as they go grey vs. the mobs the resist rates go through the roof. My usual cheap-out approach is to find a crafter who'll make me App4s.

What I did was write up a little program that reads a list of files with spell lines in them and builds the level-detecting XML for the button config file. I built it with the option to specify maximum levels for each class, in which case the program wouldn't include any spells higher than that level in the list. Won't work for multiple characters of a class, though.

I keep wanting to spend a weekend modifying the program to have all the spell lines in config files, and read a list of which lines to assign to which buttons for each class and build the XML based on that. But that's a lot of work for something I don't change very often.