View Single Post
Unread 02-08-2005, 09:52 PM
A Griffon
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

We use a pretty compressed DDS format so the memory overhead is low and I'm keeping the XML in tip-top shape, but the mod IS more taxing on your system (than default) simply because there's much more data there. Depending on your system you might lose 1 or 2 FPS. I have a really low end system as far as EQ2 goes and don't lose any framerate, someone with a very very high framerate MIGHT be able to see a loss in framerate.

As for load times, you'd need to test yourself also. My load times vary too much to get reliable numbers so I don't know if it's adding 1 second or 20.

Really, the most accurate test is to get fraps (a framerate utility, fraps.com) and get a nice average on your system by looking at a particular place where you get a high framerate with the default UI, then again with EQ2MAP loaded. Because there are so many factors that affect load times and framerates, different people will get different results.

Why look somewhere where your framerate is high? Because you're testing the UIs impact on your framerate, and so should avoid 3D stuff dropping your framerate. Also at a higher framerate, a difference will be easier to notice/detect.

Quib

Last edited by Quib : 02-08-2005 at 09:54 PM.