View Single Post
Unread 03-16-2005, 02:41 PM
Steward of the Faithful
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Antonia Bayle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmos
Is there a way that UI Authors can use your program to make an auto-instaling package?
Yes and no. I ran a quick test by renaming a valid install ZIP to .EQI and then double clicked it. When asked what program to use to open it I browsed to the UIInstaller and set it as the default program. The mod then installed as you'd expect. So if I add some code that checks the registry associations for a file type (EQI in this example) and then sets it to open with UIInstaller we could allow users to download directly to the installer, cutting out a lot of the in-between steps.

Quote:
Personaly, I'm feeling things are getting a little complicated for end users.
With the map mod program updater, this program, the UI switcher program, the customprests program, the character UI.INI switcher, copier.

It's all getting quiet complicated for end users.
I disagree. Every one of these programs is far simpler for the end user than the alternative. Not only that, but you assume that every user will be using all of the utilities, which isn't the case in many if not most instances.

Quote:
I know the UI Switcher and installer you want to make into one program eventually, but perhaps it would be better to just use it as a tool for authors, and totally remove the end users from the equation. Then they could use the UI switcher if they wanted to.
Not sure where you got the idea that I intended to roll Switcher and Installer into a single application. They're part of the same suite, not the same program. The intent has always been that the Installer was primarilly for authors to include with their mods (although with the new ideas about specially-named ZIPs even that may not be necessary) to allow end-users to install mods simply and correctly. Once the mods have been properly installed the Switcher is designed to allow end-users to easily move back and forth between different UIs.

Quote:
The Character INI switcher/copier could be combined with the UI switcher, so that it switches the UIs and the Character INI settings at the same time.
That's how it works now. Once Dolby approves the latest update check it out, it still needs a bit of UI tweaking to make it more obvious which are the basic user options and which were intended for advanced users, but on the whole I think it's relatively powerful as well as easy to use.