View Single Post
Unread 03-08-2007, 07:29 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Permafrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayve
In addition, to say that they're being removed because they're available through searching external sites doesn't just describe the quest walkthrus but basically the InfoCenter itself.
The difference, of course, is that where other information requires more active searching and/or isn't available elsewhere in the same format as in the Info Center, quest walk-thrus are available quite readily, in easy-to-find and well-organized lists. (And you don't have to "search" for the walk-thrus, anyway, as the Info Center now has buttons that link right to those lists.) As well, where the Info Center had walk-thrus for only a couple of dozen quests, walk-thrus are readily available online for virtually EVERY quest in the game.

Those who want walk-thrus in the Info Center are welcome to add whatever walk-thrus interest them to the "Notes" section. That will make information they actually need, on quests they're actually doing, immediately available. To facilitate this, I'll release in the next couple of days as an optional "add-on" the full set of walk-thrus that were previously in the Info Center, with the files renamed for use in the "Notes" section. But I'll not be updating them in the future, nor will I be adding new walk-thrus.

I'm sorry if I sound like an unsympathetic ass, but the truth is, the walk-thrus involved more work than anything else in the Info Center, and when all was said and done, even I found myself accessing walk-thrus from Web sites more often than walk-thrus from the Info Center, even before the in-game browser was added.

On a side note, does anyone actually play EQ2 over a dial-up connection? I find that difficult to believe. I mean, I'm quite far from state-of-the-art -- I play in 1024x768 resolution, with graphics settings that favor performance considerably over quality, on a machine that was already out-of-date when EQ2 first came out -- but I can't imagine trying to play EQ2 (or any other MMORG, for that matter) over a basic dial-up connection....

-- Darryl (Milquetowst)