View Single Post
Unread 02-01-2013, 01:45 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordebon View Post
Odd, not sure what to recommend if it's happening even under those circumstances. If you hide the minimap, does it stop the crashes? IIRC the minimap normally stays on the map for the old zone until zoning is basically complete, when it switches directly to the new map without going blank or anything. Even when there's no map, EQ2MAP should make it use the default "hey there's no map" image with the EQ2MAP logo and whatnot.

If you think that could be the issue somehow, you can go into your UI/EQ2MAP/eq2map2/ folder and try editing core_nomap.xml and remove everything except the opening initial xml delcaration, the opening full <Page> tag and the closing </Page> tag at the end (that should make the default no-map map basically blank). I'd be surprised if that was the issue, but it's certainly easy to test.
HA! That's actually what I was just thinking about, but wasn't sure where to do it. I was going to just remove the <Page>-</Page> for the nomap in the map2.xml UI itself (thus removing the <Include> in it). Yes, it seems to be hanging post-zone when that UI element loads the skinned EQ2map logos and blank map skin.

I'll give it a shot, anyhow. You have NO idea how terrible it is trying to use the map with only yellow dots and quest feathers!

Quote:
That being said EQ2 is an old program it will no ever use more than 4 gibs of memory.
- Yup. It doesn't even currently support more than 1 CPU core, being a 32bit MSVC 2005 based application. I do think that some of the XML exception hiding is due to the newer runtimes and .NET 4+ installed (for newer games) so they just return the fault to the game to handle, since most have thier own crash monitors now..

Quote:
Yes it also appeared around the release of CoE or shortly before so yes Nov/Dev of 2012 for me.

Clear your cache and or reinstall the game might fix the crash issue but really memory related issues are hard to track down.
- Ugh. Well, I use dual screens (hey, it's a 6-head EAH card, why not? lol).. a smaller screen to my right usually has work-related terminal windows, IM stuff, and Chrome open.. the main large screen is game "main" screen.

If emptying the blank map XML doesn't fix it, I'll try the whole uninstall, back up all my char UIsettings (one file: UI_WIndowMode.xml) since that's a serious pain to do by hand, delete the entire Sony Online /public/ folder, and start from scratch. Not tonight, tho.

THis has been a serious pain.