View Single Post
Unread 04-10-2008, 03:44 PM
A Coastal Crab

Server: Antonia Bayle
Talking Add POI button revisited...

First of all, I would like to comment on some of the attitudes of some of the users that did not contribute to the development. Although I do not develop for EQ2Maps, I do develop software and nothing iritates me more than when people complain to developers and "flame" them despite using their product for free or at low cost. When I read your comments (esspecially those that claim anything is easy that have no idea what they are talking about), I hear a mixture of Urkel and the Nannie.

Second, the real reason that I am posting here. I have used the map for a while and although I definitely like the maps and the interface, I have often wondered about the "Add POI" button or a similar emote style translator (like the map creator.) I don't agree that the argument that ShadowProwler420 is valid:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowProwler420 View Post
As interesting as this sounds, I foresee one problem with it. That being multiple PoIs for something at one general location. Example: 20 people record/submit a PoI for X mob/npc, and each set of coordinates is off by 1 or 2 (whether if it's the N/S loc, the E/W, loc, or the height variable or a combination of).
If that were the case this site would be more discriminative in who it lets enter POIs. Just kidding, folks, I know that you worked hard to enter those locations. I think that more people adding them would really help out and also allow you to create more uniform entries. For example, a bunch of the lower level quests have only some of the POIs marked and reported in totally different formats, so they look odd. However, if there was an emote instruction that were say:
Code:
: markbegin
: marklocation <Location Name>
[: markquest <Quest Name> optional, but would be useful for uniform display]
: marktype (QST/ZONE/NAMED/MOB/LOC/NPC)
: markdescription <Location Description>
: markzone <Zone>
/loc
: markend
Also you could use a similar emote system for removal:
: markremove <UID>

Also, to prevent misuse, you could always only give the tool to your best POI'ers. Making it more cumbersome really hurts the new players since only a handful of good POIers have added the early quests and mobs.

I'll await my "flaming" or hate mail, but thanks for reading it all to give it a chance.