View Single Post
Unread 09-29-2008, 09:14 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Unrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumstix42 View Post
I'm sure if they would get on the ball in making the game more GFX card resourceful than CPU-resourcefall, and possibly take advantage of mutli-core CPUs, that the UI wouldn't be such a burden on each individual's system.

I bet it could use a lot of optimizations though. But who knows how easy, or possibly a lot if is. No idea what it's coded up as, or it's possibilities/limitations.
I recall a dev (red name) mentioning part of the reason for EQ2 being CPU-bound and not using the GPU so much. His example was some of the particle effects on avatars. To do them, they need normals for every polygon on the avatar so they can tell the GPU how to render the particles around the avatar. If they let the GPU handle the avatar rendering, they can't get that information (the GPU computes it, but doesn't make it externally accessible). And the GPU doesn't have a way to describe the particle effect as part of the surface to be rendered, so there's no way to hand the effect off as part of the surface rendering.

I run into that all the time. "Yes, it's very elegant to move all the error-detection code into the report generation, we just get back the formatted error message and put it into the report list like any other report. Except for this bit over here where you've asked our application to process things differently depending on which error happened. To do that we need to know which error we got, which means knowing what error the report generation module detected. And if we've got to do that, it's easier for us to do the error detection ourselves rather than try parsing apart a PDF document for error messages.".