Thread: New Updater
View Single Post
Unread 02-22-2014, 03:57 PM
A Brown Bear

Server: Everfrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therendil View Post
One of the amazingly stupid things that Java does is park executables in temporary folders (what it calls its 'deployment cache'). I run CCleaner on a regular basis and I had to tell not to include Sun Java in its sweeps or it would break things like the ProfiUI updater.

-= Therendil =-
Yes I also use CCleaner but I will not tell it to leave Java crap in the temp folder since Java is an open back door to my system, it all goes. Instead fix the updater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknarr View Post
The temp folder there should be considered temporary. Nothing a program puts there should get trashed while the program's running, but nothing put there should be assumed to still be there the next time the program runs (if it still is you can take advantage of it, but you shouldn't assume it). If you need permanent storage, you should use the LOCALAPPDATA environment variable or the "Local Settings" (Environment.SpecialFolder.LocalApplicationData in C#/.Net) location. Follow those paths by a program-specific folder name to avoid conflicts with other programs. Drop the "local" to get the generic appdata location (usually in the Roaming profile, it doesn't really matter unless the computer's part of a domain which most home machines aren't).

NB: the Java application cache is stored in the LocalLow profile underneath the Sun\Java folder, not in a temp folder.
Yay!! There are inteligent poeple on this fourm who understand how winstupid works after all. Somebody finaly read what I said instead of assuming that it was a virus / mallware!!

Last edited by Denavin : 02-22-2014 at 04:14 PM.