EQ2Interface

EQ2Interface (https://www.eq2interface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Help!?!?! (https://www.eq2interface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Issue Changing Default UI Font Size (https://www.eq2interface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5579)

Telsiph 02-04-2006 08:32 PM

Issue Changing Default UI Font Size

Greetings, I've searched on topics on this particular subject going on a few hours now, and most of them are either completely unanswered, answered but with the answering not bringing about any success, and so on, so I am bringing this up myself as it is really a complete snag.

I am running on an HDTV like most of these other poor saps and running the game resolution at 1600 x 900 with it at 1080i. This causes the font of the game in certain areas to be amazingly small, and completely unreadable (especially quest text, menu text, and so on) of course the chat font and tool tip font is easily manipulated, but that is only a small amount of font in the game and it is silly for that to be the only font that I can change. I read about going to the file eq2ui_font and changing the PointSize, however I honestly don't see it doing anything! I recreated a new folder, named it fontssuck copied all of the default UI files into it, edited all the pointsize 15 fonts in the file to pointsize 20, created a file eq2.ini with the text "cl_ui_skinname fontssuck
cl_ui_subdir UI/" so by all things I have read the new ui *should* be loading, but when I load the game up I see nothing of significance being any different font unless it changes silly stuff that I wouldn't see in the base UI.

I searched through some of the XML files to maybe find a pointsize listing of the quest log text and other such things, but didn't find anything at first look, and I'm not even sure if it is loading the "fontssuck" UI correctly. I loaded some other complete UIs fine but they didn't have any font changing options, so am I really stuck in a rut here as I'd like to start playing again but not being able to read the quest text and whatnot is dehibilitating.

If anyone knows of any UIs that at least have sizeable font, or how I can go about resizing the font of my default EQ2 UI window, that would be great, thanks a bunch!

Telsiph 02-04-2006 09:00 PM

Quick update, using QuickArial I am able to get my EQ2 Menu font increased, and some of the log out font increased, and of course the normal tooltip and chat font increased, I have changed every number I could find to 30 and haven't seen the font increase for quest text, persona information, spell names, etc, so I'm still at a loss about that, but at least it's progress

Zonx 02-04-2006 10:29 PM

Most font styles for the new UI are defined in eq2ui_textstyles.xml.

tsimtsum 03-26-2007 12:48 PM

very large text in quest journal

I figured this out in 5 mins, having the same issue myself, with playing EQ2 on my new 1080p 40" TV. Here's what to do:

1. Goto the UI folder, create a new folder called HDTV
2. Copy the UI\Default\eq2ui_commonelements.xml and UI\Default\eq2ui_journals_quest.xml files to the new UI\HDTV folder
3. Open UI\HDTV\eq2ui_commonelements.xml using Notepad, we need to locate the TreeView.Data.style node. You can find this by first searching for the Page node with Name="TreeView". Then within that node, you'll find a Namespace node with Name="data". And then find the TreeViewStyle node with Name="style". Mine looked like this:
Code:

<TreeViewStyle CellHeight="20" CellPadding="0,0"
 DefaultTextShadowStyle="/ShadowStylesNew.Drop.style"
 DefaultTextStyle="/TextStyles.Normal.NormalStyle"
 DisabledTextShadowStyle="/ShadowStylesNew.Drop.style"
 GridColor="#FFFFFF" ImageStyleChecked="checked"
 ImageStyleCollapsed="collapsed" ImageStyleExpanded="expanded"
 ImageStyleUnchecked="unchecked" Indentation="20" Name="style"
 SelectionColorBackground="#4A404A" SelectionColorRect="#4A404A"
 SelectionTextShadowStyle="/ShadowStylesNew.Drop.style"/>

4. Copy the entire TreeViewStyle node and paste it below the original node
5. Change the Name attribute of the newly pasted node from "style" to "verylargestyle"
6. Change the DefaultTextStyle node of the newly pasted node from "/TextStyles.Normal.NormalStyle" to "/TextStyles.VeryLarge.VeryLargeStyle"
7. Save the file, close Notepad (make sure it saves as UTF-8 !!!)
8. Open UI\HDTV\eq2ui_journals_quest.xml in Notepad, we need to locate the JournalsQuest.TabPages.Active.Before.QuestList.TreeView node. Mine looks like this:
Code:

<TreeView BackgroundColor="#000000" BackgroundOpacity="0.000"
 DataSourceContainer="QuestListDS" Location="10,10"
 MinimumScrollExtent="320,0" Name="TreeView" PackSize="absolute,absolute"
 PackSizeProp="0040/0001,0020/0001" ScrollExtent="320,119"
 SelectionAllowedMultiRow="false" ShowChecks="false" Size="320,119"
 Style="/CommonElements.TreeView.data.style"/>

9. Change the Style property from "/CommonElements.TreeView.data.style" to "/CommonElements.TreeView.data.verylargestyle"
10. Save the file, close Notepad (make sure it saves as UTF-8 !!!)
11. Open your EQ2.ini file in the Everquest II folder and add/or change these line:
Code:

cl_ui_skinname HDTV
cl_ui_subdir UI/

Start playing EQ2, bring up your journal/quest window, the text in the upper pane of the Active tab should look like this:

So what I did was just simply change what text style (font) is used for the TreeView control of the Active Journal window. Text styles are generally all defined in the UI\Default\eq2ui_textstyles.xml file. From there, SOE defined common elements and styles of things inside of UI\Default\eq2ui_commonelements.xml. So changing font sizes (in this case) is as simple as finding the correct nodes and changing their text style properties.

Now, armed with this knowledge, go ahead and change the lower pane of the active journal tab and try changing the text in the other tabs. :)

Eriol 10-26-2008 10:07 AM

Before anybody asks, I know this is thread necromancy, but I'm a necro in-game, and it's relavent, so I"m doing it anyways.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zonx (Post 40462)
Most font styles for the new UI are defined in eq2ui_textstyles.xml.

This is what I did for my HDTV. I changed EVERY style there to a 50% greater pointstyle, and that seemed to work OK. Almost all of the text is larger. Some of the mouseover text isn't, but other than that, I seem to be good on my 46" 1080p TV. It's a lot easier than doing any of the new XML nodes or anything like that suggested above IMO.

Still, a major PITA. Some windows (like the target ones) can't be made bigger via the default UI, and thus some of the text at the larger size is cut off. I don't WANT to have to change a lot of my UI windows, I just wish that the default would have a "scale all fonts" option (that would also auto-resize some windows, like persona), rather than having to do this.

genytmd 03-25-2009 01:26 PM

font size

ive tried both of these and have had no change at all. i understand this thread is a year old, but if anyone has any advice i'd love to hear it. im lazy and wanna lay on my couch, play eq2, and still be able to read it without squinting =)

lordebon 03-30-2009 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by genytmd (Post 81671)
ive tried both of these and have had no change at all. i understand this thread is a year old, but if anyone has any advice i'd love to hear it. im lazy and wanna lay on my couch, play eq2, and still be able to read it without squinting =)

Well, its about 2 years old ;).

Make sure you're not trying to edit the default, as that gets checked/replaced every time you patch.