EQ2Interface

EQ2Interface (https://www.eq2interface.com/forums/index.php)
-   ProfitUI (https://www.eq2interface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Avast: "Threat has been detected" (https://www.eq2interface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18270)

offkilterkitty 09-12-2016 10:13 AM

Avast: "Threat has been detected"

Listened to Avast chirp that for every single one of the new updates posted to
link removed

URL/Mal is what it was whining about.

I did not have problems with the last set of updates.

Darqwood 09-12-2016 04:08 PM

If you feel that Therendil and I are putting malware into your files, then stop using the UI. Otherwise we would appreciate it if you would remove the link to the updater files, thank you. Exposing information of this type on a public message board is unwise and dangerous. At best, it is completely unnecessary for resolving your issue.

Dolby 09-12-2016 04:44 PM

Looks like a false positive. You can report it to Avast here: https://www.avast.com/false-positive-file-form.php

offkilterkitty 09-14-2016 07:05 AM

Darqwood, I do not think you are posting malware, and am rather insulted that was your first thought.

I was asking for help in clearing up the issue so I COULD continue to use the UI. Sometimes it is something in the coding that triggers the flag and can be resolved simply, especially if I was not the only one having the issue. I had not gotten such a message before in all my YEARS of using the UI and promoting it to others.

At least you did confirm that the path was the proper one and not high-jacked.

Therendil 09-14-2016 12:22 PM

I saw nothing in offkilterkitty's post that accused us of posting code with malware in it, and my first thought was annoyance at yet another false positive result from someone's security software.

I do, however, agree that posting the direct server link in the forums was a bad idea and I am pleased to see that the link has been edited out.

I hope Avast is able to correct their detection database to eliminate the issue.

-= Therendil =-

Darqwood 09-14-2016 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by offkilterkitty (Post 106873)
Darqwood, I do not think you are posting malware, and am rather insulted that was your first thought.

I was asking for help in clearing up the issue so I COULD continue to use the UI. Sometimes it is something in the coding that triggers the flag and can be resolved simply, especially if I was not the only one having the issue. I had not gotten such a message before in all my YEARS of using the UI and promoting it to others.

At least you did confirm that the path was the proper one and not high-jacked.

Forgive me if you were insulted. But I was surprised to say the least to see the equivalent of home address, phone number and social security number of my server broadcast on a public message board. Possibly -- and this is just me thinking out loud -- it may be more prudent if one is concerned about a web server being hijacked to send a private message to Therendil or me with the internet address in question. I promise we will take a personal interest in helping to sort out any concerns.

Darqwood 09-14-2016 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Therendil (Post 106874)

I hope Avast is able to correct their detection database to eliminate the issue.

-= Therendil =-

These are straight-up simple txt and xml ASCII files, distributed with industry standard compression over industry standard connections. Frankly, if "Avast" chokes on the utterly simplest of the simple, then I have zero confidence in the accuracy of their detections.

feldon30 09-15-2016 12:56 PM

I guess we are seeing the benefit of anonymous domain registration here. As for Avast flipping out on an XML file being downloaded. that is pretty silly. Any launcher/updater I develop will also periodically check a 3rd party website for the availability of updates.

Dolby 09-16-2016 07:30 PM

I did suggest to register a domain, then use cloudflare dns and free cdn/ddos protection. The public when pinging the domain will only see cloudflare's ip and it will keep your origin ip private as long as the cdn/ddos protection is enabled under their DNS settings. As long as the general public only needs content on port 80, 8080 or 443 your good. They even provide free SSL from user to their cdn servers.

yovNuthq 09-17-2016 09:25 AM

I'm a little weirded out by some of the reactions in this thread, the urls the updater hits are pretty obvious. Maybe another option would be roping Feldon into this for the updates hosting? (sorry feldon~)

Thanks for the PSA in any case, @offkilterkitty. Hopefully it's been addressed and Avast won't scare any less savvy users away. Sorry you got beat up about it.

feldon30 09-17-2016 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yovNuthq (Post 106879)
I'm a little weirded out by some of the reactions in this thread, the urls the updater hits are pretty obvious. Maybe another option would be roping Feldon into this for the updates hosting? (sorry feldon~)

Thanks for the PSA in any case, @offkilterkitty. Hopefully it's been addressed and Avast won't scare any less savvy users away. Sorry you got beat up about it.

I would be happy to host this as a subproject of EQ2Wire.