EQ2Interface

EQ2Interface (https://www.eq2interface.com/forums/index.php)
-   EQ2MAP (https://www.eq2interface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   POI icons (https://www.eq2interface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11851)

tknarr 11-18-2008 05:26 PM

POI icons

Looks like most of the POI icons are now coming from the SOE set. I know I'm going to mod this to use the player location arrow from my own icon set, and once I see how things look in-game I may have to mod the POI icons to use the small dots again (I like them unobtrusive so I can see the map for navigation). Is there anybody interested in me uploading the updated icons and _Skinnable files?

Dolby 11-18-2008 05:48 PM

I think the more options the better. I'm sure there would be many people that would like to use your modded icons.

tknarr 11-18-2008 07:35 PM

I've got the group-member icons done, that's an easy change to _Skinnable_Styles.xml and I'll upload that. Doing all the POI icon changes will be more work, and with the new maps I'm not sure small colored dots will show up well enough. Only thing to do's try it and see.

dragowulf 11-18-2008 08:17 PM

The colored dots were EDIT: different from my taste. There needs to be some variety and nice aesthetic graphics. Default is better than colored dots, but not much.

jnils 11-19-2008 02:35 AM

You are all free to make new icons for eq2map , as either me or gm9 are good at graphics the custom icons (not the soe types) are a temporary solution and could be made better. If we think it fits we would be happy to use them.

modesta 11-19-2008 02:41 AM

I would love to get the dots back. Icons are nice for seeing differences, but they are too big and overlap each other making it hard to pick individual things out.

What I would love is a hybrid that shows smaller icons for like...merchants and bankers and then dots for POI's.

Thanks for the thought!

jnils 11-19-2008 02:46 AM

You can always zoom in. :)

gm9 11-19-2008 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnils (Post 77490)
You are all free to make new icons for eq2map , as either me or gm9 are good at graphics the custom icons (not the soe types) are a temporary solution and could be made better.

He meant to say we are not good at it. We were actually going to ask one of this forum's artists to come up with a new set once the dust has settled.

Also please note that all _Skinnable files are currently being forced by the updater while we make sure that there are no bugs or something. They will return to old behaviour in a short while, you can make them read-only in the meantime if you are working on them.

Also I know that some xml still uses styles which are not defined in _Skinnable_Styles.xml. Just let us know, we're happy to fix that, we just didn't have the time yet.

Landiin 11-19-2008 03:51 AM

Yea I have half my guild disliking the new map because of all the clutter. Mostly I think they are just are resisting change. At 1st i didn't like it but but after I got use to it its ok. I just turn the ones off in the mini map so I can see the landscape.

Drumstix42 11-19-2008 03:46 PM

Indeed. I actually like the new icons, because colors only work for me until I forgot what some of them are. I like that battle (swords) icon and other icons because they are more defining.

I do agree some small(er) icons would good to pass around :)

jnils 11-19-2008 04:02 PM

The icons should be smaller now (18%).
Might be too small , you have to see what they are :)
Need some feedback from the users.

Vandiin 11-19-2008 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landiin (Post 77506)
Yea I have half my guild disliking the new map because of all the clutter. Mostly I think they are just are resisting change. At 1st i didn't like it but but after I got use to it its ok. I just turn the ones off in the mini map so I can see the landscape.

I agree, the clutter is a bit much. On the old map, I turned off everything except zones and standard icons, unless I was looking for something in particular. I miss the ability to turn off different types of POI icons. I was in Fens this morning, trying to click on an icon, but it was too close to another icon, even fully zoomed in. I tried toggling off all icons, but I think that makes even the default icons toggle off as well. I'd much prefer to keep the default ones always there.

Still, it's a great piece of work, and a very useful utility!

jnils 11-19-2008 04:23 PM

Filtering is not possible at the moment, we have a discussion with SOE about it but we have to wait and see it they can do anything.
But as you can search in most cases i think you can find what you looking for.

Vandiin 11-19-2008 04:51 PM

Oh, yes functionality is still awesome... more of an appearance thing for me, I suppose... heh. Didn't realize they'd removed the filter ability, however. Thanks for the info, and the great work!

dragowulf 11-19-2008 06:45 PM

The swords and stuff are ok. But I can't stand just dots, there needs to be more than that for each other category. And there needs to be filtering (hopefully SoE will add it)

gm9 11-19-2008 07:10 PM

Not sure if SOE will add it to the default map, the only problem we have implementing it is that they cache the entire POI page and load it exclusively from the cache, so currently we cannot modify it because we cannot refresh the cache. We hope that they will give us that ability.

Drumstix42 11-19-2008 11:54 PM

Instead having a "poitype" property for each POI, they should just break it down into pages...

That way all QUESTSTART poi's would be in the same, etc. This would make it a lot easier to toggle icons I would think.

/end drum's 2 cp

depechenode 11-20-2008 12:08 AM

Need to convince SOE to rename MAP2

I love the new EQ2Map!!

What I desire is a change the name of the minimap SOE provides. The name Map2 they use conflicts with the Map name when one tries to set a command to close the minimap from a toggle button. When I am in a zone where there is no map avail, I like to close the minimap. I know i can do it by right clicking and selecting close on the minimap itself but a button toggle is easier. So I added a button to my custom EQ2 startbutton window.

HOWEVER, if the Map (big one) was last set as focus, the button will only close the Big Map and reopen it on toggle. The minimap is left untouched open or close. To fix, I have to reclick the minimap to set the focus back to the minimap (named Map2) then my button works fine. An easy fix is change the name of the Map2 to MINIMAP. Seems the game will parse the "Map" part only and affects the last window named "Map"x that had focus. (where x can be null or 2 in this case).

UNLESS, there is a way to tell the button to set focus on "Map2" maybe that way it will ignore the "Map"?

-dn

gm9 11-20-2008 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumstix42 (Post 77589)
Instead having a "poitype" property for each POI, they should just break it down into pages...

That way all QUESTSTART poi's would be in the same, etc. This would make it a lot easier to toggle icons I would think.

Very true, that would make it easier, that's how we did it before. Unfortunately currently that is not supported, I tried putting our POIs into pages but they would not be displayed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by depechenode (Post 77590)
When I am in a zone where there is no map avail, I like to close the minimap. I know i can do it by right clicking and selecting close on the minimap itself but a button toggle is easier. So I added a button to my custom EQ2 startbutton window.

If you go into Alt-O -> Controls you can define a button for toggling the minimap, by default it should be Ctrl-M, most people I talked to just put it to M and the full map to Shift-M. :p (alternatively /map2_show_mini_map 0 or /map2_show_mini_map 1)

gm9 11-20-2008 05:19 AM

tknarr, we realized a problem with skinning if you change icon sizes. The icons in map_links.xml have fixed placements via a x,y location, whereas POIs are automatically placed by the icon center.

POIs and map links are duplicates, we need the POI because map links are not searchable. Therefore as soon as you change the icon size of one of the POI types used for links they will no longer align.

Currently your best bet for those icons is to keep the sourcerect size but just add transparency around it (that probably still makes the larger area clickable, never checked though). The only problem is that we are still tweaking icon sizes ourselves so you will need to adapt to that (because we recalculate the x,y when we do that).

Other suggestions are welcome.

tknarr 11-20-2008 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gm9 (Post 77609)
tknarr, we realized a problem with skinning if you change icon sizes. The icons in map_links.xml have fixed placements via a x,y location, whereas POIs are automatically placed by the icon center.

POIs and map links are duplicates, we need the POI because map links are not searchable. Therefore as soon as you change the icon size of one of the POI types used for links they will no longer align.

Aha. Shouldn't be too much of a problem, currently my .dds uses the same sourcerects and sizes and just has a smaller non-transparent dot. I shouldn't have any problems as long as I don't deviate from your sourcerect sizes then.

gm9 11-20-2008 01:22 PM

Sorry I talked somewhat nonsense, the essential part is that the Size parameter rests identical. :o

depechenode 11-20-2008 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gm9 (Post 77598)
(alternatively /map2_show_mini_map 0 or /map2_show_mini_map 1)

How can I use this on a button in the UIBuilder. ie: Set/Unset command? I tried with the / and without and neither work.

Thanks!

gm9 11-20-2008 03:48 PM

Various ways how you could use this, e.g. for a simple toggle button (not a checkbox), put the following in OnPress:
map2_show_mini_map='!'map2_show_mini_map map2_show_mini_map='!'map2_show_mini_map

depechenode 11-20-2008 04:17 PM

Thanks a ton works perfectly!!!!